Multi-Day Tours: World Heritage Lite
Not sure how to see all there is to see during your time in Greece? Let us plan for you! This 4 day, 3 night guided trip takes you to five of the most popular of Greece’s many UNESCO World Heritage sites, including Epidavros, Mycenae, Olympia, Delphi, and Meteora.
- Reviews 1 Review4/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Challenging
- Group Size Small Group
Imagine a road trip, but without all the stress of planning, navigating, finding a place to stay, or deciding on where to go and what to see. Our multi-day adventures get all of that wrangling out of your hair. The World Heritage tour runs for a total of 3 nights and 4 days, taking you to several different corners of the Greek world. The tour’s first day is just a short hop from Athens to the Argoloid peninsula, with visits to the sites at Epidavros and Mycenae. The first night and second day continue further south, to the ancient complex at Olympia, before trekking north for the third and fourth days of your trip, which include extensive visits to the world-famous sites at Delphi and Meteora.
- Licensed driver/guide
- Accommodation in Olympia, Delphi, & Kalabaka
- Admission price to sites (if necessary)
Your driver and guide will pick you up from your accommodations in Athens at the appropriate time.
- Day 1 Epidavros
The busy first day of the basic World Heritage Tour commences with a visit to Epidavros, birthplace of the hospital! While a visit here will surely take you through an excellently preserved ancient Asklepeion, a temple dedicated to healing (named for Asklepios, son of Apollo and according to legend, the world’s first real doctor), the real attraction of Epidavros is its ancient theater, dating to the 4th Century BCE. The theater, which could hold up to 14,000 people at peak capacity, is so well preserved that it is still used for performances today! There is no feeling quite like hearing your voice boom and echo out into the distances from the same stage as the contemporaries of Sophocles and Aristophanes, some of Greek theater’s most legendary figures.
- Day 1 Mycenae
As collected deficient objection by it discovery sincerity curiosity. Quiet decay who round three world whole has mrs man. Built the china there tried jokes which gay why. Assure in adieus wicket it is. But spoke round point and one joy.
- Night 1 Overnight near Olympia
The first day of this tour concludes with a relaxing drive across the heartland of the Peloponnese from Mycenae to your lodgings near the ancient site at Olympia, where you’ll spend most of the next day exploring
- Day 2 Olympia
Birthplace of the Olympics! One of the largest and most thoroughly excavated sites in the country, the many attractions of ancient Olympia will keep you occupied for most of the day. These games, though, were slightly different than the elaborate spectacles of today, and this site has much more to offer than the original “Olympic Stadium” The Olympic Games of ancient times were a significant religious event, and the temple of Zeus at Olympia was at the time the largest ever built, and once housed a supposedly forty foot golden statue of Zeus, one of the wonders of the ancient world. Between its temples, monuments, and public buildings, Olympia is one of the most complete and well-rounded sites in the entire country. Walking through the complex, one can almost picture an ancient athlete carrying the torch, set to begin the celebration!
- Night 2 Overnight near Delphi
After a long, tiresome day exploring the huge archaeological complex at Olympia, your driver will take you to Delphi, where you will stay overnight before diving into the Great Oracle in the morning. Further information about lodging upon request.
- Day 3 Delphi
The World Heritage Tour’s third day will take you all around Delphi, one of our most popular tour sites. The sanctuary at Delphi is one of the most famous historical sites in all of Greece, and was one of the most important locations in the entire ancient world. Located on the slopes of Mt. Parnassos (legendary home of the nine muses), the temple and sanctuary to Apollo is just one part of this huge site. Here, one might also walk through the Tholos, dedicated to Athena, and possibly one of the most beautiful temple sites in all of Greece. Other points of interest might be the Treasury of Athens, built to commemorate the famous Greek victory at Marathon over Darius I’s Persian Empire, a classical gymnasium, a well-preserved 5,000 seat theater, and the Delphi Archaeological Museum, one of the finest collections of art, monuments, and relics in the entire country.
- Night 3 Overnight in Kalabaka
After your day at Delphi, catch up on some rest as your driver takes you to the most remote site on your trip, to the town of Kalabaka, located in the heart of Thessaly, several hours north of Athens.
- Day 4 Meteora
Though the mountainous journey to Thessaly is something in and of itself to behold, the real treasure of this tour is your day at Meteora, towering up above Kalabaka. The monasteries of Meteora, carved precipitously into the jutting rock formations of the mountains, date to the 14th-16th centuries, its history stretches back much farther – the oldest human structure in the area dates to the Ice Age, over 23,000 years ago! The complex’s largest and most impressive structure, the “Great Meteoron” was founded by Athanasios the Meteorite, who first climbed the rock upon which it lies in 1344. There are few architectural equivalents to the monasteries, built into the rock of the mountain as a defense mechanism against invading Ottoman forces. For hundreds of years, ropes and baskets were the only way of transporting anything – objects or people – to the very top.
At its peak, there were up to thirty active monasteries at Meteora, though only six are open to visitors today. Though it is a long day at the end of a long trip, everyone agrees that it is always worth the time. Be sure to spend some time exploring Kalabaka, perhaps visiting its Mushroom Museum, the only one of its kind in the world.
- Return Back to Athens
Finally, after a long day exploring the wonders of Meteora and Kalabaka, your driver will take you directly back to your original place of accommodation in Athens.
Have you already booked accommodations for your time in Athens? If not, let us take care of everything, and stay hassle-free! Our Greek apartments are centrally located, impeccably maintained, and include the possibilities to accommodate anywhere from 2 to 20 guests. All of our apartments come with luxury Posturpedic mattresses imported from the US, kitchens with fully loaded appliances, and, a rarity in central Athens, washing machines and dryers. Several have balconies or verandas, and nearly all have grand views of the city and its landmarks. For more details, see the Accommodations drop down menu above, and go check out our primary booking website at www.greekvacationrentals.com. In the meantime, feel free to browse your options here:
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2.5 Bathrooms
- 1 block away from Acropolis & Ancient Agora
- Private courtyard & garden
- Perfect for families
- 4 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 4 Bathrooms
- All bedrooms include en-suite bathroom
- Veranda and rooftop terrace with unobstructed Acropolis view
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- Option for private chef and maid services
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 3 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with our neighboring Acropolis View Beta apartment)
- Extensive common area/living space, perfect for large groups
- Recently rehabbed/renovated with brand-new kitchen, appliances, & plumbing
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with Acropolis View AlphaPlus)
- 3 Museums within 1 mile; Acropolis & Old City within 2 miles
- Bedrooms are perfect for families with children
- 6 Bedroom, (sleeps up to 24), 5 Bathrooms
- Private landscaped outdoor terrace
- Acropolis view from your own private landscaped outdoor terrace
- Views, Views, Views
- Megasuite that sleeps up to 24 guests.
- Created especially for large travel groups: combines Acropolis View AlphaPlus & Beta
- The comfort of home in Athens!
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 9), 2 Bathrooms
- Multi-level apartment, perfect for couples and families travelling together
- Two private verandas, plus roof terrace overlooking Acropolis
- Indoor parking included
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- 2.5 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Downtown location, walking distance to Acropolis
- Two private verandas perfectly overlooking Mt. Lykavittos
- Two farmers markets nearby – perfect for those who love home cooking!