Unexplored Athens 5-8 Persons
There are few places in the world quite like the historic center of old Athens. But that doesn’t mean the rest of the city doesn’t have some fabulous sights and sounds! For something a little more off the beaten path for the average visitor, check out this tour of Athens’ Pagrati neighborhood, complete with some excellent food and wine tasting to boot!
Are you staying with Greek Vacation Rentals?
Don’t Forget to use your discount code.
Planning on booking multiple tours and transfers, email us for your friends and family discount code.
1-4 persons $260.00 5-8 persons $435.00 9-14 persons $555.00 15-21 persons $590.00 22-50 persons $660.00
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Challenging
Just a short distance from the historic center, a walk around the Pagrati neighborhood is a look into some of the unseen, everyday within Athens. Visiting Pagrati, you’ll stop by a baker who grinds his own flour, grab some coffee at a hidden corner joint, take a look around the local farmers market, and explore First Athens Cemetery, which contains some of the most beautifully carved and sculpted tombs and monuments you’ll ever see. The availability of this tour is limited to Tuesdays and Fridays, and some features (like fruit tasting at the farmers market) are seasonal, so be ready to jump at this experience if you have the chance.
- Expert Guide
- Price of Food
- Price of Entrance to Sites or Museums
- Pickup From Apartment
This tour is around four hours long and begins around 10 AM, when your licensed and experienced guide will meet you at your accommodations and begin your walking tour.
- Bakery Stop Fresh is Best
For reference, the heart of Pagrati is about a half hour or 45 minute walk away from the Acropolis, so you may have a chance to build up a bit of an appetite before making your first stop at a local bakery. See where the bakers grind their own flour for the day (and maybe even get to witness it in action!), and browse a selection of fresh baked goods, perhaps picking something up for a walking lunch.
- Coffee & Farmers Market Energize Your Appetite
After leaving the bakery, feel free to pause your tour and stop in at any number of little cafes to enjoy an excellent Greek coffee to fuel the rest of your busy day. Next, you’ll head over to the farmer’s market to take a look at the fresh produce that’ll end up on plates all over Athens later in the evening–even yours, if you’re the cooking type! Stop for some sweet and juicy fruit and vegetable tastings, depending on the season, that you’ll only find an equal to in the Mediterranean. After you’ve had your fill, it’s a leisurely walk to Athens First Cemetery for the final leg of your half-day tour.
- Athens First Cemetery Unconventional Art
You’ll then spend the early part of your afternoon walking around Athens First Cemetery, final resting place of some of the city and country’s most prominent citizens of the past several hundred years. You might be asking why a cemetery is worth a look around. The answer is that the assortment of sculptures, statues, mausoleums and monuments dedicated to those interred within is one of the world’s finest. It is a unique collection of art and design, with few parallels anywhere else. After spending plenty of time in the busy heart of Athens, a quiet walk around its most famous cemetery, in addition to a viewing of some other notable pieces of outdoor art and sculpture, is an excellent way to cap off your tour.
- Wine, Mezedes, and Return
The tour will conclude mid-afternoon, at which point your guide will lead you back to your apartment. On the way, though, you’ll stop in at more local shops to try out some excellent samples of wine straight from the barrel, alongside classic Greek mezedes, or appetizers often selected to accompany a little bit of alcohol. Then, it’ll be time to return home, and perhaps an afternoon siesta!
Have you already booked accommodations for your time in Athens? If not, let us take care of everything, and stay hassle-free! Our Greek apartments are centrally located, impeccably maintained, and include the possibilities to accommodate anywhere from 2 to 20 guests. All of our apartments come with luxury Posturpedic mattresses imported from the US, kitchens with fully loaded appliances, and, a rarity in central Athens, washing machines and dryers. Several have balconies or verandas, and nearly all have grand views of the city and its landmarks. For more details, see the Accommodations drop down menu above, and go check out our primary booking website at www.greekvacationrentals.com. In the meantime, feel free to browse your options here:
- 2 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 6), 1.5 Bathrooms
- 1 block away from Acropolis & Ancient Agora
- Private courtyard & garden
- Perfect for families
- 4 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 4 Bathrooms
- All bedrooms include en-suite bathroom
- Veranda and rooftop terrace with unobstructed Acropolis view
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- Option for private chef and maid services
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 3 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with our neighboring Acropolis View Beta apartment)
- Extensive common area/living space, perfect for large groups
- Recently rehabbed/renovated with brand-new kitchen, appliances, & plumbing
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with Acropolis View AlphaPlus)
- 3 Museums within 1 mile; Acropolis & Old City within 2 miles
- Bedrooms are perfect for families with children
- Created especially for large travel groups: combines Acropolis View AlphaPlus & Beta to form 6 Bedroom, 5 Bathroom megasuite that sleeps up to 24 guests.
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 9), 2 Bathrooms
- Multi-level apartment, perfect for couples and families travelling together
- Two private verandas, plus roof terrace overlooking Acropolis
- Indoor parking included
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- 2.5 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Downtown location, walking distance to Acropolis
- Two private verandas perfectly overlooking Mt. Lykavittos
- Two farmers markets nearby – perfect for those who love home cooking!