The Hills of Athens (With Wine & Mezedes!)
This challenging private walking tour explores the perimeter of the old city using the natural urban landscape as your route. Yes, you’ll explore the Plaka, but you’ll venture where few tourists do, and en route you’ll travel through history; this journey takes you to a Cycladic island in the city center, to the place where Democracy began and ends with a picnic that includes sparkling wine and traditional Greek mezedes overlooking the historical center.
Cost is $57.50/person or $145 minimum (37.50 for children 10 & under).
The above are walking tours – you can do the Acropolis tour by car, but you lose the professional guide who can tour the sites with you (300e for half day if by car). That said, if your stay is very short – many people do opt for a full day Acropolis and City tour or a full day Acropolis, City and Cape Sounion tour by car. (Ask me if this applies to you). Nikos is a great Athenian driver and knows lots, and for that reason our guests who don't have serious time restraints or any mobility and walking issues choose to explore the historic center on foot, opting to use the drivers for their trips outside of the city center.
The Hills of Athens is a leisurely private walking tour exploring the perimeter of the old city, using the natural urban landscape as your route. Yes, you’ll explore the historic Plaka neighborhood, one of the very oldest parts of the city itself, but you’ll also venture where few other tourists ever do. Here, you’ll travel through history: this journey takes you to a Cycladic island in the city center, to the place where Democracy itself began. At the end, you’ll have a picnic with wine and mezedes, all while looking over the breathtaking center of the historic city.
Pickup From Apartment
This is a walking tour that will take roughly a half a day (four hours), so your guide will meet you at your apartment in the mid morning or afternoon to begin your walk!
The Hills of Athens
Ardittou & Lykavittos
No journey through Athens would be complete without getting the big picture. So, as the title suggests, you’ll start your tour by ascending two of the slopes dotting the center of the city, giving you along the way a nice walk, a dramatic view, and a panorama of what you’ll see next.
From Tall to Flat
On the way to your next destination, the historic Plaka neighborhood, you’ll come across Syntagma Square, the political center of modern Athenian life.
Walking Through the Plaka
The Old and the New
While it would spoil the fun to go into too much detail, the Plaka is a truly wonderful place for a walking tour. Situated right at the bottom of the Acropolis, Nowhere else is the timelessness of the city more evident than in the narrow, twisted, winding pedestrian streets of the Plaka. Though the stores, products, and restaurants may have changed, the image of all the people going about their business on the same streets in the same buildings doesn’t! It’s hard not to feel it as you stand in the place where democracy itself began. But that’s not to say there aren’t some more modern quirks to the neighborhood–just ask, and you’ll be led to what might seem to be a Cycladic island, right in the middle of Athens!
Time for Wine
All of this walking is sure to build up a bit of an appetite. At the end of the walk, your guide will pick up some delicious wine and mezedes to snack on at the top of this beautiful hill overlooking Central Athens. The vista is truly astonishing, and the food and wine always hits the spot just a little bit more when taking in the scenery.
After all this, it’s time to head home, and your guide will lead you back to your apartment (or, should you so desire, advise you the best route to another destination) to spend the rest of the day as you like.
Have you already booked accommodations for your time in Athens? If not, let us take care of everything, and stay hassle-free! Our Greek apartments are centrally located, impeccably maintained, and include the possibilities to accommodate anywhere from 2 to 20 guests. All of our apartments come with luxury Posturpedic mattresses imported from the US, kitchens with fully loaded appliances, and, a rarity in central Athens, washing machines and dryers. Several have balconies or verandas, and nearly all have grand views of the city and its landmarks. For more details, see the Accommodations drop down menu above, and go check out our primary booking website at www.greekvacationrentals.com. In the meantime, feel free to browse your options here:
- 2 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 6), 1.5 Bathrooms
- 1 block away from Acropolis & Ancient Agora
- Private courtyard & garden
- Perfect for families
- 4 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 4 Bathrooms
- All bedrooms include en-suite bathroom
- Veranda and rooftop terrace with unobstructed Acropolis view
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- Option for private chef and maid services
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 3 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with our neighboring Acropolis View Beta apartment)
- Extensive common area/living space, perfect for large groups
- Recently rehabbed/renovated with brand-new kitchen, appliances, & plumbing
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with Acropolis View AlphaPlus)
- 3 Museums within 1 mile; Acropolis & Old City within 2 miles
- Bedrooms are perfect for families with children
- Created especially for large travel groups: combines Acropolis View AlphaPlus & Beta to form 6 Bedroom, 5 Bathroom megasuite that sleeps up to 24 guests.
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 9), 2 Bathrooms
- Multi-level apartment, perfect for couples and families travelling together
- Two private verandas, plus roof terrace overlooking Acropolis
- Indoor parking included
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- 2.5 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Downtown location, walking distance to Acropolis
- Two private verandas perfectly overlooking Mt. Lykavittos
- Two farmers markets nearby – perfect for those who love home cooking!