Full Day Historic Center Walking Tour
More Private Tours, Customized For You
Whether you want a full day’s experience or only have time for half, you have options:
Includes either morning or afternoon, includes the Acropolis and either the new museum or the Ancient Agora. Flat total rate of $250, not including food or admission to sites.
Includes all of the above, plus even more highlights in the city center: the Agora, the Parliament, the National Gardens, and more additional historic center sites. Of course, since it is your tour, we can customize things to fit your family’s specific interests. Flat total rate of $350, not including food or admission to sites.
This full-day tour can last for up to 8 hours, so be sure to be well-rested and ready for a breathtaking day of Greek adventure. Over the course of the day, your guide will walk you through innumerable sights and experiences in Athens’ endlessly fascinating historic districts. Starting at your own residence, you’ll encounter everything from guided tours of ancient stadiums and temples to more leisurely walks through historic neighborhoods and stops at modern museums and monuments. It’s all the incredible tourist experiences of Athens, combined with exploration of sites and knowledge that only a local would know. Price of lunch and admission to the museums and archaeological sites are not included.
Pickup from your apartment.
Price of tour does not include the following price of admission to sites:
- Acropolis and Slopes: €20 for Adults, €10 Reduced (EU citizens over 65 and all university students with ID are eligible). Children under 18 are free.
- Acropolis Museum: €5
- Acropolis and Sites Joint Ticket: €30 for Adults, €15 Reduced. Includes admission to the Acropolis and Slopes in addition to the following Athenian sites:
- Ancient Agora
- Archaeological Museum of Kerameikos
- Museum of the Ancient Agora
- Archaeological Museum of Lykeion
- Hadrian’s Library
- Temple of Olympian Zeus
- Roman Agora of Athens
Pickup from Apartment
Start Your Day
This is a full-day tour, so your licensed guide will come pick you up from your accommodations at the prescribed time in the morning.
Old Olympic Stadium
Let the Games Begin!
Sports and athletics have been a part of Greek culture since Rome was just a village on a few hills. Despite falling into ruin near the beginning of the 5th Century CE, the stadium has since been excavated and renovated, and has since become one of the world’s oldest venues still in use. Stand on the marble steps and picture the screaming crowds of more than two millennia ago, cheering on their favorite team of racehorses as the Acropolis and Parthenon loom in the skyline beyond, a vista to challenge that of nearly any modern sports arena.
This Roman-style gate standing nearly sixty feet high was supposedly built upon the arrival of the Emperor Hadrian to the Eastern crown jewel of his Roman Empire. Few other sites can inspire such a sense of ancient history as this relatively minor monument – according to its inscriptions, the Arch served as part of a wall separating the “ancient city of Theseus,” by that point already more than a thousand years of age, from the “new” city of Hadrian, which assuredly must have been state-of-the-art for the time.
A Walk Through the Old Neighborhood
Little did you know, some of the best and coolest Athens has to offer might be living right under your very nose! The next stop on this tour takes you on a walk through the historic Plaka neighborhood, right through the heart of the old old city. Following the natural urban landscape under the shadow of the acropolis, historical excavations on this part of Athens continue to this very day, and you never know what you might find as you follow the footsteps of Socrates, Sophocles, and many more famous ancient Athenians of days long past.
For the Academic Inside
At the heart of the Plaka lies the new Acropolis museum, a breathtaking piece of modern architecture in the midst of some of the world’s oldest. The admission fee to the museum is not included in the tour, but as the home of thousands upon thousands of ancient artifacts, stretching from the earliest reaches of Athenian civilization to the most recent, this museum, recently ranked number 8 in the entire world by TripAdvisor, is a must-visit.
Of course, it would take a superhuman to walk all this way without building up a tremendous appetite. Luckily, you’ll now find yourself in one of the premier food destinations in the entire world! One of the perks of our licensed guides is their ability to recommend any number of local spots, largely unknown to the tourist world, completely suited to your tastes!
Acropolis & Ancient Agora
The Heart of Ancient Life
What would a trip to Athens be without an excursion to the Acropolis itself? This part of the tour culminates with a walk around the world-famous Parthenon, the single most important structure of the classical Greek world, but your ascent to the top of the Acropolis includes stops at any number of over twenty historic sites in the vicinity, including several other breathtaking temples, a theater that seated 17,000 in its heyday, and the Propylaea, the majestic columned gate that served as the entrance to the entire complex and inspiration for countless other monuments around Europe. All this says nothing of the ancient Athenian Agora, the central forum where all kinds of business took place, and where an incredible number of ancient buildings and monuments still stand to this very day. No matter how you choose to approach it, your visit to this part of Athens will no doubt be one of the highlights of your tour and entire trip.
Syntagma Square & Parliament
Back to the Present
The final stop of your day-long excursion through Athens has a bit more of a modern bend to it. The current home of the Greek National Parliament, Syntagma Square was built to celebrate Greece’s newfound independence from the Ottoman Empire in the early 19th century, and is the focal point of modern Greek political life. The Parliament itself is housed in the Old Royal Palace, a grand structure where much of the fate of contemporary Greece has been decided in the past century or two. With history and sites taking you all the way up to the present day, it’s nothing less than a fitting way to end your Athenian day.
Have you already booked accommodations for your time in Athens? If not, let us take care of everything, and stay hassle-free! Our Greek apartments are centrally located, impeccably maintained, and include the possibilities to accommodate anywhere from 2 to 20 guests. All of our apartments come with luxury Posturpedic mattresses imported from the US, kitchens with fully loaded appliances, and, a rarity in central Athens, washing machines and dryers. Several have balconies or verandas, and nearly all have grand views of the city and its landmarks. For more details, see the Accommodations drop down menu above, and go check out our primary booking website at www.greekvacationrentals.com. In the meantime, feel free to browse your options here:
- 2 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 6), 1.5 Bathrooms
- 1 block away from Acropolis & Ancient Agora
- Private courtyard & garden
- Perfect for families
- 4 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 4 Bathrooms
- All bedrooms include en-suite bathroom
- Veranda and rooftop terrace with unobstructed Acropolis view
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- Option for private chef and maid services
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 3 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with our neighboring Acropolis View Beta apartment)
- Extensive common area/living space, perfect for large groups
- Recently rehabbed/renovated with brand-new kitchen, appliances, & plumbing
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with Acropolis View AlphaPlus)
- 3 Museums within 1 mile; Acropolis & Old City within 2 miles
- Bedrooms are perfect for families with children
- Created especially for large travel groups: combines Acropolis View AlphaPlus & Beta to form 6 Bedroom, 5 Bathroom megasuite that sleeps up to 24 guests.
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 9), 2 Bathrooms
- Multi-level apartment, perfect for couples and families travelling together
- Two private verandas, plus roof terrace overlooking Acropolis
- Indoor parking included
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- 2.5 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Downtown location, walking distance to Acropolis
- Two private verandas perfectly overlooking Mt. Lykavittos
- Two farmers markets nearby – perfect for those who love home cooking!
Over the course of your 8 hour walking tour you can expect to walk about 2.5 miles.