The Oracle and the Monk (Delphi & Meteora)
This two-day tour takes you through a detailed tour of two of Greece’s most important religious sites: Delphi, home to the Cult of Pythia, the legendary Oracle, and Meteora, mountainous home of a Greek Orthodox monastery complex, comprising some of the most incredible buildings in the entire world. Accommodations for the night can be made in the town of Kalabaka, located at the foot of the great rock formations housing the monasteries of Meteora.
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday TypeEscorted journey, Private tour
- Activity Level Challenging
- Group Size Small Group
As one of our multi-day tours, be prepared for some extensive travel, though it will surely be worth the time. For the Greek mythology buff, there are few places that can rival all that Delphi has to offer. There might hardly be a single big decision in the entirety of Greek legend that wasn’t made with – or noticeably without – the words of the Oracle in mind. Day two of the trip takes you to the Meteora, one of Greece’s 18 UNESCO World Heritage sites and without a doubt one of the most awe-inspiring structures you’ll ever see. The monasteries of Meteora are somehow perched on the top of the jutting rock spires that populate the region – while there are now stairs, for hundreds of years, ropes and ladders were the only routes to these buildings hundreds of feet in the air! It is a sight you truly have to see to believe, and it will without a doubt be one of the most breathtaking experiences of your entire trip.
- Day 1: Delphi The Greek Fortune Cookie
The sanctuary at Delphi is one of the most famous historical sites in all of Greece, and was one of the most important locations in the entire ancient world. Located on the slopes of Mt. Parnassos (legendary home of the nine muses), the temple and sanctuary to Apollo is just one part of this huge site. Here, one might also walk through the Tholos, dedicated to Athena, and possibly one of the most beautiful temple sites in all of Greece. Other points of interest might be the Treasury of Athens, built to commemorate the famous Greek victory at Marathon over Darius I’s Persian Empire, a classical gymnasium, a well-preserved 5,000 seat theater, and the Delphi Archaeological Museum, one of the finest collections of art, monuments, and relics in the entire country.
- Night 1: Kalabaka
After a long day exploring Delphi, hop in your driver’s air-conditioned vehicle and enjoy the ride north to Thessaly, where you’ll spend the night in Kalambaka, at the foot of the hills where you’ll find the Meteora complex. Be sure to spend some time exploring Kalabaka, perhaps visiting its Mushroom Museum, the only one of its kind in the world! It’s a charming, beautiful town of roughly 20,000, and you’ll surely enjoy your stay.
- Day 2: Meteora A Room With A View
Kalabaka and Meteora are located in the northwest of Thessaly, roughly a four hour drive from Athens (though the journey through the Peloponnesian countryside is itself something to behold).
Though the monasteries of Meteora, carved precipitously into the jutting rock formations of the mountains, date to the 14th-16th centuries, its history stretches back much farther – the oldest human structure in the area dates to the Ice Age, over 23,000 years ago! The complex’s largest and most impressive structure, the “Great Meteoron” was founded by Athanasios the Meteorite, who first climbed the rock upon which it lies in 1344. There are few architectural equivalents to the monasteries, built into the rock of the mountain as a defense mechanism against invading Ottoman forces. For hundreds of years, ropes and baskets were the only way of transporting anything – objects or people – to the very top. At its peak, there were up to thirty active monasteries at Meteora, though only six are open to visitors today. Though it is a long trip, everyone agrees that it is always worth the time.
Have you already booked accommodations for your time in Athens? If not, let us take care of everything, and stay hassle-free! Our Greek apartments are centrally located, impeccably maintained, and include the possibilities to accommodate anywhere from 2 to 20 guests. All of our apartments come with luxury Posturpedic mattresses imported from the US, kitchens with fully loaded appliances, and, a rarity in central Athens, washing machines and dryers. Several have balconies or verandas, and nearly all have grand views of the city and its landmarks. For more details, see the Accommodations drop down menu above, and go check out our primary booking website at www.greekvacationrentals.com. In the meantime, feel free to browse your options here:
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2.5 Bathrooms
- 1 block away from Acropolis & Ancient Agora
- Private courtyard & garden
- Perfect for families
- 4 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 4 Bathrooms
- All bedrooms include en-suite bathroom
- Veranda and rooftop terrace with unobstructed Acropolis view
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- Option for private chef and maid services
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 12), 3 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with our neighboring Acropolis View Beta apartment)
- Extensive common area/living space, perfect for large groups
- Recently rehabbed/renovated with brand-new kitchen, appliances, & plumbing
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Landscaped outdoor terrace (shared with Acropolis View AlphaPlus)
- 3 Museums within 1 mile; Acropolis & Old City within 2 miles
- Bedrooms are perfect for families with children
- Created especially for large travel groups: combines Acropolis View AlphaPlus & Beta to form 6 Bedroom, 5 Bathroom megasuite that sleeps up to 24 guests.
- 3 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 9), 2 Bathrooms
- Multi-level apartment, perfect for couples and families travelling together
- Two private verandas, plus roof terrace overlooking Acropolis
- Indoor parking included
- Fully stocked luxury kitchen
- 2.5 Bedrooms (sleeps up to 8), 2 Bathrooms
- Downtown location, walking distance to Acropolis
- Two private verandas perfectly overlooking Mt. Lykavittos
- Two farmers markets nearby – perfect for those who love home cooking!